Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Healthy Pizza

On behalf of the Dooley Noted Surgeon General.  The following is her dinner recipe from tonight.  Sounds good to me.

Week 2: I was slow to exercise, but I had a weight loss of 2lbs this week!
Tomorrow I'm meeting with a trainer for the first time, hopefully it won't be
canceled due to the snow. The diet is going well and I'm trying out lots of new
recipes. Tonight I made pizza, a recipe from Shape magazine. To prevent from
over indulging in pizza,  I ate a big salad while the pizza was in the oven.
Below is the recipe and the changes I made to it. ENJOY!
My Changes:
3 cloves of garlic, sauteed with the onions (because everything is better with
garlic)
Boboli whole wheat crust ( it had  less cal/fat and 3gm more fiber/serving than
the wheat dough)
Apple Spiced Chicken Sausage (it was 3gm less fat per link)... I think this
recipe would be really good with hot italian chick/turk sausage too
I removed the sausage from the pork casings (less fat...and just gross)
I bought 1lb of sausage (5 links) and I  used 3 links in the recipe
I didn't use cornmeal since I bought a pre-made crust
I doubled the sauce (1/2c).... 1/4c isn't enough for me

Comfort Food: Healthy Sausage Pizza with Sweet Peppers
A whole-wheat crust, chicken sausage and a ton of veggies make this sausage
pizza surprisingly healthy.
Serves: 4
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Nutrition Score per serving:
(2 pizza slices): 351 calories, 11g fat, 4g saturated fat, 44g carbs, 17g
protein, 6g fiber, 207mg calcium, 3mg iron, 705mg sodium
SaveReviewShare PrintRate This: 12345Avg: 0.00
Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
4 ounces sweet Italian-flavored chicken sausage, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
of crushed red pepper
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1?4-inch strips
1 medium red onion, cut into 1?4-inch strips
12 ounces store-bought whole-wheat pizza dough
Cornmeal for pan
1/4 cup jarred pizza sauce
3 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella (about 3?4 cup), divided
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 F with rack in the lowest position. Pour 1 teaspoon oil into
a large nonstick pan and heat over medium-high. Add sausage and sauté for 3
minutes or until just brown, stirring occasionally. Add fennel and red pepper;
sauté for 1 more minute. Transfer to a plate. Add remaining teaspoon oil to pan
with the bell pepper and onion. Sauté for 10 to 12 minutes or until softened and
lightly charred.
While sweet peppers and onions are cooking, roll out whole-wheat pizza dough to
a 12-inch circle. Dust a baking sheet with cornmeal and arrange crust on top.
Poke lightly with a fork. Bake for 6 minutes or until slightly puffed. Remove
from oven; prick any bubbles. Spread with sauce, leaving a 1?2-inch border; top
with 1?2 cup cheese.
Arrange sweet peppers and onions over top, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and
top with sausage. Bake for 10 minutes more or until cheese is melted and pizza
crust is golden and crisp. Let cool slightly before slicing into 8 pieces, then
serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment