Sunday, January 30, 2011

How do you spell motivation...

Good Morning everybody,

Week 2 is in the dust and week 3 is coming in strong.  My week 2 was not impressive, but it sounds like everyone else has stayed up on their progress.  Hope everyone is still feeling the vibe.

My apologies for being semi-absent these last few days.  I mentioned in my last post that I had a quick hospital stint and then we had the "Ship of the damned" in port for an extra day.  Things have been crazy. 

As I puttered around the house today I had a philosophical thought.  I know... crazy right? 

My plan is to rest for a while, then hit the gym for a heavy cardio session, start the week off right in the challenge, and if time permits swing by the grocery store to stock up on fish and turkey.  That isn't the philosophical part, that was just the catalyst.  As I thought about my plan I realized that this whole fitness craze after the disney trip has really changed my thinking.

Under normal circumstances I would justify not starting back to working out until Monday or Tuesday because "its the weekend".  With the triathlon on the horizon, and all the motivation of looking forward to seeing everyone's posts... I just couldn't do that.  I was a little shocked this was the case and that I was looking forward to getting back in the gym after a 7 day hiatus. 

So, here comes my philosophizing... My Chief of Staff, the surgeon general, and I saw a t-shirt down in disney that had a great quote on it.  "The miracle isn't that I finished.  The miracle is that I had the courage to start."  I love that quote.  I realized today that the quote doesn't just apply to marathons, runs, etc.  That sentiment actually applies to any challenge one puts in front of oneself. 

So today's philosophical thought is...  My motivation to train comes from being motivated to train.

Every morning at Kings point they would ask the question "Who motivates the motivator?"  The answer was, and still is,  "The motivated, motivates, the motivator." 

Good luck on week 3 everybody... Keep up the hard work.  Have a great Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment