Monday, April 28, 2014

Intensity.... in 10 cities... get it... its a homonym

Hey there blogospherians,


Hope all is well and April is coming to a close nicely for you.  Had to take a few days last week on account of crazy scheduling and catching an unfortunate cold. 

I was able to muscle through it and still got some solid workouts in, but I must admit... if you think it's hard to breath during vigorous cardiovascular activity... just give it a whirl with a little chest cold.  It was one of those things where it was so uncomfortable it actually stopped mattering to me that it was uncomfortable... you know?

I assume that sounds weird to most, but it has happened to me a handful of times in my life.  It gets so overwhelmingly busy, or hot, or uncomfortable... really anything that one might wish for relief on.  Every so often it gets so bad that my brain gets to an "ah f*ck it" moment.  Not to be confused with a "screw it" moment.  The "Screw it" moment to me is just to throw in the towel and try again another day.

The "Ah F*ck it" moment is that realization point where you just say... "this is so bad, I might as well do it now.  Let the cards fall as they may."  Don't get me wrong, it is not fun... but oddly enough there is a strange satisfaction from "gutting it out".  It aint pretty, but it got done... type of thing.

Best news is that after a few really blazingly hard WODs (workout of the day)... I feel much better.  Still coughing, but overall feeling great.  So let's back track a little on the stuff that never got printed.

Friday
aka "the day of a thousand wods"

Coach Chris must have had some evil Wheaties that day because we did a warm up that consisted of 4 rounds of 250meter row & 200 meter run.  So that is pretty warm just to kick things off...  Followed by a rampaging Amrap (as many rounds/reps as possible) series.  3 minute Amrap (5 pushups/5situps) 1 minute rest, followed by 5 minute amrap (10 air squats / 10 jumping lunges... FML), 1 minute rest followed by 7 minute amrap (15 Ring Rows / 15 V-ups).

If you didn't understand this, just take my word for it...  it sucked.  I got home and literally laid on the floor for a 1/2 hour before attempting to do anything else.

Sunday
Baller Wod
50 hanging cleans
10 burpees
40 back squats
10 burpees
30 knees to elbows
10 burpees
20 Overhead Squats
10 burpees
400 meter rown... and guess what
10 burpees

This is a crazy/great wod.  Totally worked me over like I stole something.  The kicker to this day is that we were all planning on going to Reebok world HQ for the Spring Cup... Since I am half a coconut I did not show up for the 9 am class as I was supposed to and went to the 10... I realized I had agreed to go earlier and felt obligated to discipline myself and not hold people up... I offered to do 7 minutes of burpees (my current max is 62) if no one else showed up.  Thank god 1 old guy moseyed in just as class started... I was already regretting my honorable nature.

Success on the Wod and a killer time at the Spring Cup at Reebok... now I actually want to do one of the CF competitions... and definitely a Spartan race (that was happening adjacent to the competition... it was mayhem.)

That brings us to today... 

This is one of my finest hours.  I don't dog it on the work outs, but I will say I try to temper my energy so I have enough juice to make it through the whole thing.  I always feel worked, but I also always feel a little... off.   NOT TODAY.  Today I got at it with full vigor and intensity.

It was another day of multiple wods... warm up was hard, skill/strength session was 5 kettlebell swings (53 lbs) and 5 wall balls (30 lbs) every minute on the minute for 10 minutes.  kicked my butt sufficiently... but that wasn't the WOD...

The wod was 3 rounds for time - 30 double unders (jump rope), 15 Hand release push ups, and 30 situps.  I smoked it and can honestly say that I went as hard as I could through the whole damned thing. 

Moral of the weekend... specifically this morning....  Ryan is very proud of Ryan. 

So get up, get out, get at it folks... I'm too sore to think...

No comments:

Post a Comment