Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Humpday Hollah: It's A Hard Knock Life!

At the movies the other day I caught the trailer for the upcoming "Annie" remake.  It's a fresh and unique take on the classic story of a spunky, inspirational orphan who brings hope to a struggling country.  This time around it stars Hugh Jackman in the title role and trades the classic mop of red curls for metal claws.  On second thought, that might have been the preview of "X-Men: Days of Future Past"...  Well, regardless, it got me thinking of the words to one of the musical's most famous songs: "It's A Hard Knock Life!"

"Leapin' Lizards, bub..."
"Don't it feel like the wind is always howlin'?
Don't it seem like there's never any light?
Once a day don't ya wanna' throw the towel in?
It's easier than puttin' up the fight!"
                       
Let's be honest, I wasn't a full-time student at the "School of Hard Knocks." I have to admit an abused orphan who is scammed by violent criminals during the Great Depression has it slightly harder and knockier than I do.  She's probably Valedictorian.  You win, Annie... er... sort of...  Still, I think we've all taken at least a class or two at something like the "Regional Institution of Solid Thumps" and, we can agree, at that school, somedays Life wins.  And, man, Life can be a pretty sore winner!  Sometimes life hands you some pretty harsh realities and you find yourself retreating to the warm embrace of the bed, frantically trying to turn your sheets into a white flag.  "The SUCK will come back... Tomorrow!  Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow... They'll be SUCK!" 

We all have days like that.  Heck, some of us have years like that!  No matter who you are, life has hard-knocked you down a peg or two and made you hide under your covers.  Some of us are probably still tucked away pretending to live life.  For a while we can even fool ourselves into believing the idea that we don't have to actually get out of bed at all and life will continue on.  We think we can phone it in and do it by satellite from the safe, remote location in the People's Republic of But-I-don't-wanna-stan.  And you know what?  We're kind of right.  Life will go on... but it'll go on without us.


"It was a run by fruiting!"
Hey, I know you've heard it before, but it bears repeating:  Life throws lemons.  We know it's true.  But the funny thing is that sometimes you think it only throws lemons at you!  From the outside it seems that everyone else is living lovely lemonless lives, but if you take a moment and really look around: are you the only one getting pelted by fruit?  I bet my bottom dollar on a resounding nope.  Maybe your best friend got pelted with pineapples when they got laid off last month, or your coworker got clobbered with kumquats when they had some medical troubles.  Or maybe you were just trying to enjoy some fun in the sun when a man dressed as an old woman lobbed a lime at the back of your head!

As a kid, my days were filled with ballet slippers, not boxing gloves, and I was way more into watching Russians like Mikhail Baryshnikov battle mice in "The Nutcracker" (swoon), not Russians like Ivan Drago battle Balboa in "Rocky IV"...  Today though, this quote from The Italian Stallion's sixth film hangs above my desk for inspiration:
"Buh-nuh-NAH!!! Buh-NUH-naaaahhhhh....."
I'll give you a moment to blow your nose.  Good?  He goes on to say:  "Now if you know your worth, then go out and get what you're worth."  Yeah, I know, I know... Sure you can say, "That's great for Rocky, but it's also just a movie!" and you aren't wrong.  But the iconic film "Rocky" that launched Stallone's career was only made after he got fed up with his own lemons, wrote the script himself, and refused to settle until someone let him play the title role.  And that, my friends, is what I call "Making Lemonade."


Lastly, the best part of all of this, is You Are Not Alone!  My friend Serina is like Rocky and Annie all rolled into one.  She's had her unfair share of hard knocks, but she keeps coming out a champion!  How she kept doing it?  I didn't know, but I did know I wanted that!  I wanted her drive and success.  I wanted change.  I needed change.  And it might sound clichéd, but with AdvoCare, I got that change.  Real change.  Not something that comes easy, no, but something I literally work for.  Not only have I gotten back on track with losing some unwanted trunk junk, but I have a refreshed look on life!  I'm also building a business & relationships that focus on health and hard work instead of shortcuts and quick fixes.  Interested?  Check out the upper left corner for more details or click here to message me directly.  If you want to get in on the change, give me a Hollah and you can start making Lemonade too!   

Just to be clear, Advocare is not a Lemonade Stand...

No comments:

Post a Comment